Photo credit: Utah Dept. of Veterans and Military Affairs - Utah.govWhat to Know as a Military Home BuyerTaking the leap to buy a home can be nerve-racking, especially as a military home buyer.
Historic Squares In Savannah Pt 1
Dated: August 28 2017
Voted one of the 10 Most Beautiful Places in America by USA Weekend Magazine, the squares and parks of Savannah are the community’s most beloved icons. Originally designed with 24 squares, 22 remain today to be enjoyed by the millions who grace their grassy utopias every year.
CALHOUN SQUARE ABERCORN AND WAYNE STREETS:
Calhoun Square was designed in 1851 and named in honor of John C. Calhoun. Calhoun was a South Carolina statesman and Vice President under John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson. Calhoun Square is the only square where all of the original historic buildings remain Located on the square: Massie School and Wesley Monumental United Methodist Church
CHATHAM SQUARE BARNARD AND WAYNE STREETS
Chatham Square was designed in 1847 and named in honor of William Pitt, the Earl of Chatham. Pitt was an early supporter of the colony and though he never visited Savannah, Chatham County and Chatham Square were named in his honor. Located on the square: Gordon Row, 15 four-storied townhouses each 20 feet wide with identical architecture. Admired for its ironwork and unique doorways
CHIPPEWA SQUARE BULL AND MCDONOUGH STREETS
Chippewa Square was designed in 1815 and named to commemorate the Battle of Chippewa in the War of 1812. In the center stands a bronze statue of the colony’s founder, General James Edward Oglethorpe, who faces south protecting Savannah from the Spanish in Florida. Located on the Square: First Baptist Church, the Savannah Theatre and the Eastman-Stoddard House. Also know as Forrest Gump Square, the bus stop scenes from the Oscar winning motion picture was filmed on the north end of the square.
COLUMBIA SQUARE HABERSHAM AND PRESIDENTS STREETS
Columbia Square was designed in 1799 and named “Columbia,” the female personification of the United States of America. In the center sits a fountain from the Wormsloe Plantation, an early Savannah settlement. Located on the square: The Davenport House and the Kehoe House
Crawford Square was designed in 1841 and named in honor of William Harrison Crawford, Minister of France during the reign of Napoleon. Crawford was said to be the only foreign politician with any influence over Napoleon.
ELBERT SQUARE HOUSTON AND MCDONOUGH STREETS
Lost to urban sprawl, Elbert Square was designed out in 1801 between Montgomery and McDonough streets. It was named in honor of Samuel Elbert, a Revolutionary War hero and Georgia Governor.
ELLIS SQUARE BRYAN AND BARNARD STREETS
Once lost to urban sprawl, the old city square was restored thanks to a public/private partnership by the City of Savannah and area developers. The restored square features underground parking, retail centers and hotels. Ellis Square was designed in 1733 and was named in honor of Henry Ellis, the second Royal Governor. It was here that the “Old City Market” was located and merchants sold crops and wares.
FRANKLIN SQUARE BRYAN AND BARNARD STREETS
Franklin Square was designed in 1791 and named in honor of Benjamin Franklin, for many years the square was the site of the city’s water tower and was referred to as “water tower square.” Located on the square: First African Baptist Church and the west end of City Market
Excerpt is courtesy of The Landings Welcome Book
Meet Jenny Rutherford Jenny Rutherford Real Estate, LLC. Where did you grow up? I grew up on a farm at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. I've lived in several states, including Virgi....
Latest Blog Posts
What to Do in Savannah and Tybee Island During the PandemicEveryone’s biggest question right now is, “What is there to do on Tybee Island and in the Savannah area during COVID-19”? And even if
Photo Credit: Georgia Municipal AssociationTybee Island’s Resilient Community is Open and Thriving After Receiving the 2021 Visionary City AwardTybee Island was one of nine cities to receive the